1.01.2013

The Late Report: Holiday 2012 Update


Nina and Booth’s Heartfelt Update for 2012
(I apologize for the bad line breaks- I imported the following text and Blogger is not formatting it properly.)

It is with a huge sigh of relief that we are putting this past year to bed. We have had one of the worst
years in the history of our love and lives together, and we are bruised, battered and stitched up, but
we are still here to send our greetings- a bit late, but better than never!

2012 started out on a beautiful note as we celebrated my 50th birthday on the garden island of
Kauai. We flew home to Seattle and continued to provide live-in help for my father, who was still in
depression, although I had finally gotten him to see a psychiatrist. In June we moved him into the
upscale and fabulous Ballard Landmark Gencare retirement community. We did all the moving
ourselves, and I fixed up his apartment to make it a show place. After a few weeks my father thanked
us and called us angels. Then one month later, on July 4th, he started going into mania...and
within another month he had fired his doctor, started drinking and smoking pot, and turned
violently against us as we tried to guide him away from egregious errors of judgement. This ended
in a very ugly manner, and I have since had to “divorce” myself from not only my father, but from
my past as well, as this has changed my concept of my foundation in so many ways.

Our foundations were then rattled again by Booth’s declining health. On Labor Day weekend Booth
confessed to me that he thought that he may have had a mild heart attack while riding his bicycle up
a steep hill. That set us down a rocky avalanche chute that led us to his diagnosis of “left main
disease,” and that led to triple bypass open heart surgery on December 7th at Swedish Cherry Hill
Hospital. Surgery went well, but post-op did not. On December 12th I had to call 911 and Booth went
to the ER and back into the hospital with a collapsed right lung. He lost over 2 liters of blood and had
3 transfusions. Booth is now facing thoracic surgery with Dr. Ralph Aye to remove blood clots in the
pleural cavity on January 4th. Then we hope the recovery will truly begin. We are ever so grateful for
the amazing team at Swedish, especially Dr. Joseph Teply, the cardio-surgeon, Gil Friedlander, the
Physicans Assistant whose sister lives on Lummi Island, many amazing nurses- our favorite was
Ulf, who was from Germany and he made us laugh... and the Ballard Fire Department and paramedics
who were at our house in less than five minutes and saved Booth’s life. We didn’t get to celebrate
Christmas or New Year’s Eve, but we have all the gifts we need- each other.

Despite all the trauma, work has gone on... Booth continues to work with R.E.Lee International and
X2 Bio (new name) and I am working on my books in between all of the stress. My next book, “Once
Upon A Memory” will publish with Little, Brown in December ‘13. It is the first time I am not illustrating-
Renata Liwska did the incredible art. I am currently working on 3 new board books for
Chronicle Books- and other book projects for the future.

Here’s hoping that 2013 brings all of us excellent health, happiness, love and success!

Our Love,
Nina and Booth

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments, but please play nice! If my feelings get hurt I may have to ask you to take a time out and comments will go away. Think constructive if you must criticize.